Sunday, January 25, 2009

JANUARY.... I cannd feeeel m' finnahs!

We all can agree that winter riding in New England is a challenge to say the least.
Its more than that to me ... its exhausting! No really. By the time you shovel your trailer out, hook it up, load it up with everything (still knowing in the back of your mind ... I am forgetting something), then fetching the horses, loading them up, driving 15 minutes to the indoor, unloading your gear and horses, tacking up, warming up - you then realize either you (A) Have to pee or (B) cant feel your fingers or toes.
The horses dont like the cold either. You can tell by how choppy their strides are or by how long it takes you to actually get a correct head set or rythm. It seems like it takes the whole time your there or limbs start freezing (which ever comes first) to feel like you are in unison with your horse. Some days are worse than others. Like for example when the snow is coming off the metal roofing while your riding... that would be considered = "shit hitting the fan"
I have told myself to just realize that I am not going to get as much done as I had hoped due to the fact that this year I have 3 horses I am training and with weather and the cold I am alternating who goes to the indoor for riding - so they all get riden equally. I am constantly feeling guilty for one or two.
Angel needs to be worked the most as he is the furthest behind in language. Baby is an old standby at only 3 (yes three folks) Charlie will be 3 this Spring - as long as I just stay consistant with him and work him he is good - but really should be worked more. Its like trying to roll three barrels at the same time across the arena - one is going to lag in momentum. Almost getting to your destination and you just say screw it and roll one at a time the remainder of the way. We will see what Spring brings.
A compilation of last winter and this winters indoor activity is good to watch to see what we were working on last year at this time.
Angels jumping progress will be available to see this week in another post.
We are hoping that next weekend will bring temps back up to 30 so we can ride indoors more comfortably.

4 comments:

ranch girl said...

Where's my dad?

ranch girl said...

can u put that video on my blog?

ranch girl said...

what happened 2 the video on utube?(BABY 2)I really liked that video!

ranch girl said...

u spelled my name wrong, only 1 y (Haley)!!!!

REIGNITING THE PASSION FOR EVENTING

 My blog name has changed over the years, but my goal always remained the same, to be in eventing! I had goals, but never knowing how to att...