Wednesday, April 1, 2015

ANOTHER WEEKEND .... another barrel show...

Out of all the diciplines I have played a part of ... I have to say that NBHA is the most frustrating structually. No matter which equine sport you choose, all of them will have their political favoritism or the who-you-know formulas. NOT so much in this particular timed sport. If you have never barrel raced except in gymkhana shows you would be severely dissappointed to learn that your 15.489 time (which is a great time btw) fell "through the cracks" or also referred to as "in the weeds" so to speak and YOU get no money & no recognition as your best personal time!

Out of 84 horses the fastest time of the day only got a check for $185 and unless you plan on being the fastest horse of the day every time.... there is that chance you will get nothing for your efforts. That is interesting to say the least. Some days I cant get over that fact but most times I just try not to care. It sure does wear on oneself if you are working your horses to keep them in shape, feeding and caring for them the best you can, purchasing more expensive pads or saddles to make them more comfortable and therefore apply themselves better. Not to mention the costs involved in just playing the game. Some can argue the facts that its the same in all sports and say "you gotta pay to play" but if you work your tail off and are better than everyone else in your field the judge isnt going to overlook you without getting his neck on a chopping block. Of course that is just my common sense opinion.

Yesterday was a good day regardless, as I had a clean run at 16.5 and I barely started running at the gate as I was giving my eyes time to adjust to the indoor from the sunshine.... and didnt realize just how short the chute was lol! Well ... live and learn. Every pen is different, I need to be ready and more pliable! I have to admit I have never felt more at home in that 17" cutting saddle! I know it was a crazy move to give up my light barrel saddle but it was cramping my style and throwing my balance way off... this was my second time running my heavy sticky leather cutter but I need the room to get centered around those barrels because Sally will give you whip lash like an elastic. She is not nice about getting around them cans... she turns and burns and you better be with her or she will leave without yer!

Looking forward to this new season with a new district and new faces and new arenas... another new endeavor! Only to be compounded by adding my cutting show schedule to my barrel racing schedule and then sprinkle with a few jumping shows or trail obstacle shows or clinics and there it is ... B.U.S.Y.!

Only 3 Shows in NBHA NC06 to qualify for this years State Finals at the Bob Martin Ag Center
So I better be running... and working on getting to the first barrel and around them faster than THIS!









No comments:

REIGNITING THE PASSION FOR EVENTING

 My blog name has changed over the years, but my goal always remained the same, to be in eventing! I had goals, but never knowing how to att...